Intention vs. expression

Sunday, October 12, 2014


People often say do not judge a book from its cover. 
Some also say that do not judge others merely by what we see from the surface, because there might be a bigger ice beneath the sea that we can’t see yet.

I think all of these statements are true. But I think most of us only relate to these statements when the people we know is misunderstood or others had accused us for something we didn’t intend it to be. No?

I’m a strong believer that the same expression can have different intention.


This should come with no surprise, but I’m no saint. 
I too judged others according to what they do or say and I assumed their intention.
Boy! When I found out I was wrong, I was so embarrassed!
I was ashamed of myself that I only assumed the worst and ashamed of myself for getting angry and annoyed for nothing.

Do not judge from what others expressed to you. Find out their intention. 
Someone can give you a hug because they really want to love you.
But someone also can give you a hug so that they can stab you at your back.

Same expression, different intention.

I once was the “victim” of this as well. 
I admit that I can be rather weird sometimes.
The way I react to things can be a bit different than others.
I’m just queer the way I am.

Anyway, what happened was this. 
I reacted in such a way that caused other think that I’m being rude and proud.
That person even thought that I do not honor her.

But the truth was I was burning out and I was stressed out.
To be honest, I acted a bit like a crazy person when there’s no one around me.
But when there is, I expressed it through another way.

So in summary, I was misunderstood.
I do not blame her though, because from her past experience, maybe most people that gave her such expression had the same intention.
But little did she know I had the opposite.

Same expression, different intention.

I think what I’m trying to say is this. 
I’m learning not to jump into conclusion from the things that I observe.
I do not want to misunderstand the intention of others and just fix/solve their expression.
Everyone have their own stories and they deserve a chance to share. No?

Don’t over generalize things. Life is complex.

No comments :

Post a Comment