I still wanna see

Thursday, July 17, 2014


I always feel great after a trip to the rural area.
I feel good not because I think myself better than them, but because they showed me how simple life can be.

Somehow for some unknown reason, my recent trip to Vietnam did not have the same effect on me.
I did not feel "better", in fact I did not really feel anything but tired after the whole trip.
But one thought is stuck in my head ever since.

We evaluate other's lack by our own abundance.

Think about it for a while.

If we did not have a "better" education, we would not think that those who do not go to school are unfortunate.
If we did not have a "better" road, we would not think that muddy road is a problem.
If we did not have a "better" transportation, riding a motorcycle around the mountains doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.
If we did not have "better" electronics, a fan under the hot hot sun is sufficient enough.
If we did not have "better" food, a life without candy and junk food is still a good life.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help those in need. But I'm just thinking, what is really "better"?

Every time we go to places like this, we all bring candies and junk food to the children.
Of course they are happy and they had a lot of fun, but then what happen next?


When I saw the amount of rubbish on the grass, I thought to myself  'this is what we bring to every visit'.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't help those who are in lack.
And I'm definitely not saying that we shouldn't strive for a better life.

But I'm just thinking, what is really "better"?

To help them to have the "standard of living" as we have?
But wait a minute, in our abundance we are in lack as well.

We have abundance of candies and chocolate, but many are in lack in their health.
We have abundance schools and education center, but many make use of it to earn money.
We have abundance of technology that connect us, but how many of us are really connected through it?
We have abundance of concrete building and houses, but we have exchange the health of mother earth for it.

Look at this.



Don't you think there is a "side effect" in our abundance?
And if we give to others what we have carelessly, aren't we bringing them the "side effects" as well?

I still wanna see the ducks quacking and the grass green.


I still wanna see the buffalo staring at me.


I still wanna keep the pure heart of these children.



No comments :

Post a Comment