As your equal

Saturday, November 1, 2014


The teaching of this book is so solid that until now I’m still chewing on it.

“Thus turning the other cheek (Matthew 5:39) wasn’t passive; it was proactive. The “inferior” was saying, “I’m a human being, just like you. I refuse to be humiliated any longer. I am your equal. If you want to hit me again, you will have to acknowledge that.” Jesus isn’t teaching “just take it”, but exactly the reverse; “Stand up for yourself, take control, but don’t answer your oppressor on their terms.” ~ pg. 131

You HAVE to read this book to really grasp the full understanding of what he is trying to share here. But the idea of treating others as my equal had been brewing in my mind for a while.

I was thinking; have the different level of status in our society forced people to not treat each other as their equal?

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t respect our parents and leaders.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t submit to them.
But I’m just thinking if respect and submission should be expected from someone that’s “below” us?

I was bathing the other day and I just felt God reminded me the story of the women who came to Jesus’ feet wash them with tears, wiped them with her hair, kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil.

Jesus was in the house of a Pharisees, Simon who called Him teacher. 
Simon should have given Jesus water for His feet but he didn’t.
Simon should have kiss Jesus, but he didn't.

The thing is this.
Jesus didn’t demand him to do so when he didn’t.

But when the women freely gave her adoration and respect to Jesus, He freely received it.

Jesus never forced others to give Him the treatment He should have as The Son of God. 
Instead, He treated people around Him as His equal.
Though He rebuked them, but He never oppressed them.
He never went around telling others to respect Him, but He taught us to respect others.

Jesus wasn’t interested on the treatment that He was getting.
He is interested in the way we treat each other.

Jesus compelled others to honor, respect, submit and worship Him through His lifestyle.
He didn’t force this practice into the people around Him through His teaching.

I want to live like Jesus.
I hope that the way I live compelled others to follow me and not because of the title I carry.
I hope others respect and honor me because of the life I’ve lived and not because of the position I’m in.

I hope others will see Christ in me. 
And I hope to be treated equally.
: )

No comments :

Post a Comment