The process of becoming

Thursday, November 20, 2014


The books that I read are normally introduced by others or the daily devotion email that I’ve subscribed to.

But this book is different.
I went to Canaan Land bookstore the other day to get some books for my friend, and I just walk up to the book shelve, saw this book, took it and bought it.
This is the reason why Oyan Lok often has to control me when I’m in a bookstore.
Normally she will ask me what I want to buy and what my budget for the trip is so that she can remind me of my words if I ever go crazy.

But I went there without her that time.
So I bought it.
And I never regretted it!

The best book I read last year was Captivating by John and Stasi Eldrege
It makes me realize the heart of God for me.
How loved I am by Him.

And this book, Becoming Myself is by the coauthor of Captivating, Stasi Eldrege.


We are loved. Born out of love, into love, to know love, and to be loved.
~pg. 21

Embracing ourselves has nothing to do with arrogance or settling for a lower version of who we are. Embracing ourselves has everything to do with embracing the goodness of God’s creative work in us. It means trusting God, believing that all he has made is glorious and good. And that includes us. You are the only one who can be you. The world, the kingdom of God, and all those around you need you to embrace who you are created to be as you become more fully your true self.
~ pg. 99

Women are particularly vulnerable to fears of all kinds because we are, because we love, because in God’s gracious design we are vulnerable and gloriously so. Our vulnerability is part of what makes us women; it enables us to love as we do, to protect relationship as we do, to comfort and offer mercy, to bring a creative eye to the world. And yes, it also makes us vulnerable to fear. 
~ pg. 109

The hard, true thing about our deepest fears is that what happens is completely out of our control. Life is primarily out of our control. People are out of our control, and certainly their choices are out of our control. There is only one person we can ultimately choose life over fear for. Ourselves.
~ pg. 112

Jesus in the only one who can meet the deepest needs of your heart, and he wants you to know how deeply he love you so badly that he’s moved heaven and earth to do so. He is the only one who will never disappoint you, never ever leave you, comfort you intimately, and love you perfectly every single moment of your life. Invite him in.
~ pg. 151

If we are insecure in ourselves or our life choices, then people who make choices different from ours can feel threatening. We judge.
~ pg. 167

You won’t understand your life, you won’t see clearly what happened o you or how to live forward from here, unless you see it as battle. A war against your heart.
~ pg. 171

Jesus doesn’t pant after our service, as wonderful as it is. As much as he has planted desires and dreams in our hearts, he doesn’t give first place to the use of our gifts to further the kingdom of God or to minister to his beloved lambs. Jesus says that the greatest command is to love him. We love him by loving others, yes, but God gives first place to our loving him, and we do that simply by being with him, spending time with him, fixing our gaze on who he is.
~ pg. 199

We hurt others when we interpret their actions through lenses of misunderstanding wrought in our brokenness and sin. We are hurt by others when they do it to us.
~ pg. 203

The world needs a woman who is thankful for how God has made her, trust that he is transforming her, and actually enjoy who she is. It’s a good thing to like who you are. God likes you! We get to like ourselves too! When you like yourself, you are free to enjoy others, and in your presence people experience an invitation to become and enjoy who they truly are as well.
~ pg. 226

We increasingly lean on Jesus, calling on him to live his life through us. And as he does, we are transformed into the very image of God. We discover the brilliant truth that the more his we become, the more ourselves we become.
~ pg. 234

--

I'm no where near perfect.
I know this at the core of my heart.

But in His eyes, I am perfect.
And I am becoming the me He created me to be.

Is a process.
A process to walk and enjoy with Him.

No comments :

Post a Comment